Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
(Specialization in Economics * English * Psychology)
About the Department
The Department of Arts was established in the academic year 2014-15. The department offers specializations in English, Economics and Psychology. There is one division each for F.Y.B.A., S.Y.B.A. and T.Y.B.A. with the intake capacity of 120 students. All the courses are affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University. With 5 students in 2014-15, the number of students enrolled has increased to 166 in 2019-20.
The B.A. course enables students to be skilled human resources in their respective fields. The department aims to impart fundamental and advanced concepts, effective communication and life skills. The Department has clubs like Kolors of Kaveri (Arts Club) and Kaveri Kautilyas (Economics Club) where students get a chance to showcase their talents in fine and performing arts and intellectual pursuits. The Department also conducts the annual Kaveri Fillm Festival. The Film Festival was started in 2015 with an objective to make students understand and appreciate world cinema and thereby encourage learning of finer nuances of the creative process.
To instill in the learners values and skills of a proactive human being for a better world
- To sensitize students about the aspects related to economic affairs of the globe and contribute towards the nation-building process.
- To develop understanding of language and literature, communication skills, creative writing and research acumen.
- To enable students to develop the skills required to understand human behaviour by developing their psychological processes.
- To expose students to a variety of topics those influence the contemporary socio, economic and cultural life.
- To develop oral and written communication skills of the students so that their employability potential enhances.
- To enrich the minds of students for a holistic and multidimensional understanding of the field of their interest.
- To approach new areas of learning, develop competencies in the students thereby opening various avenues for self-discovery, academic understanding and employment.
- To develop an understanding of real life issues and participate in the programs and practices in the social context.
- To help the students to prepare for varied competitive examinations
Various teaching methods are adopted in order to make the teaching-learning process more effective. These methods are as follows:
- Lecture Method: The conventional lecture method with the use of chalk/ marker is adopted to bring in scope for more discussion and physical and mental involvement of students.
- Activity-based Method: With the objectives of increasing interaction, self-learning in the class, promoting qualities like team-building, confidence-building, peer learning, many activity based methods like Group Discussion, Power Point Presentation, quiz, chart paper presentation, role play are adopted.
- ICT-enabled Method: Apart from using LCD projectors for slide presentation, teachers also use Google Classroom as a medium for sharing study materials (including notes, PPTs and videos) and assignments. Adopting Flipped Class method of teaching-learning has also been facilitated with the help of Google Classroom.
Google Classroom Link
In order to add value to the learning from the prescribed curriculum, certain value addition courses have been introduced for the students.